Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Weekend in California!!

Well you see a few months ago I got some crazy idea to sign up for a half marathon, and it did happen to be my first one!!  Heck, if your going to sign up for a half marathon why not run along the beach?  So thats what I did, signed up for the Surf City Half Marathon in Huntington beach California!! I kind of convinced a good buddy of mine Josh to sign up for the race, and at the last minute Linnea was able to take over someones spot. On Friday morning Josh and I packed are bags and headed to Southern California. The first night was spent in Redondo Beach which we just walked along the pier and relaxed.
On Saturday we made our way over to Huntington Beach.  We headed over to the running expo to pick up our race packets, and it was right next to the beach how convenient. That afternoon was spent relaxing on the beach. I mean honestly who is not content just laying by the beach listening to music?! Perfect thing right before a big race if you ask me. Later that night we meet up the Ward Family who was nice enough to let us crash at their house for the night. They even provided a very nice pasta dinner for us the night before. Any runner knows that carb loading the night before is a definite must.
  
Feburay 6, 2011 RACE DAY!! We were provided the breakfast of champions which consisted of a bagel and a banana. This is the point where my butterflies started, and I probably went to the bathroom like 50 times before we left the house. We hopped on some nice beach cruisers and made our way over the starting line. Before I knew it we were starting, and I couldnt even believe how much fun it was. It was such a fun atmosphere, the course was beautiful, and I was feeling good. The final chip time was 1:54.23!! Which my goal was just to get under two hours, and lets face it I could have spent more time training or trained harder. At this point there was really nothing I could do but my best, and I am quite pleased. After the race I met up with Linnea and Steven we put on our bathing suits and headed for more relaxing on the beach. Thanks to the Sandberg Family for letting us crash sunday night...we sure do love you guys. Monday morning we made our way back home.
  



1 comment:

  1. That is an awesome time!! Way to go! and look at you little miss skinny! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete