Thursday, July 21, 2011

A long letter

July 7,2011

I Love P-days because I get to write home and tell you about my week. I have so much to say, and since me being the person that I am, I am going into way too much detail. So you get to hear everything.

Dad, I made it through one Fast Sunday.  Now we only have a select few more to go!! I love how this has become our thing. Seriously, I thought about you all day.

Well, from your email, it sounds like each of you had an amazing holiday!! I am so glad you did.
Rog and Ranya I love you, and you know I wish I could have been there with you on Sunday. From the sounds of it, it was amazing.

On Saturday night we had a special Forth of July fireside, and it was amazing. They had a few speakers and talked about Joseph Smith,  and of course religious freedom. They talked about how the gospel will be shared with every nation, kindred, tongue, and people. How the gospel will go forth noblely, boldly, and independent until the master will say the work is done. Then, on the screen was a huge map of the world. They named off each mission, and put  black dots on the map where we have missionaries. One of the coolest experiences since I have been here. Of course, since Washington is towards the end of the alphabet the map was covered in little black dots. It’s amazing how much this gospel has grown, just since the year 1820. The fullness of the  Gospel is restored on the earth today. Then afterwards, we were allowed to go watch the stadium of fire FIREWORKS!!! I love them, and have since I was like five, so it was the best. I didn't even have to break the rules to do so. We got special permission to stay up late and watch them. It’s all about the little things, and seriously, that was a tender mercy.

Also, Mom, guess who I happened to see?!! The cute lady we met in Costco. Seriously, I LOVE her and she was sent to me for a reason. Of course, when I went up to her she embraced me with her sweet, amazing, and strong testimony of this gospel. She was cute, and remembered us. She even said I looked so happy, beautiful, and looked the part of a missionary. I took a picture with her so I will send it soon!! The next day, Sunday, she spotted me again in mission conference with everyone. Once again, came up to me and said I can even spot you in a crowd of 2300ish people. Now how amazing is that?

We had a devotional on Tuesday night. Which by the way, I live for Sunday and Tuesday night devotionals. Anyway, we had Cree L. Kofford come and speak with us. He talked about how there is a special spirit at the MTC . Then later he said, no offense it’s not you.  We are just mouth pieces in the Lord’s hand to perform His work. He mentioned how each one of us were foreordained in the grand council in heaven to be serving mission and how each one of us needs to maximize our potential. He later mentioned how the essence of the spirit is not learning the doctrine but it's the feelings of the Spirit. It’s that feeling that changes lives, and lets others know your love for them and the gospel. To end his talk he said, “you represent the answers to the question, Where are the Mormons? You are sitting right here now, and they are still YET to come. How amazing is that?! That the Lord has called me to Seattle because there is someone there who needs to hear the gospel, and has been prepared to do so. Then, because of them making the decision to come unto Christ, they will then have generations follow behind.

The MTC has been the most amazing experience. It’s crazy how fast the weeks go, but the days seriously feel like weeks. I am starting to really appreciate my time here and realize I have so much to learn. The MTC is quite a humbling experience. You come in thinking you have certain qualities or know about the gospel, and don’t get me wrong I do. Then at the same time, it’s a place to learn and grow. The only way we can do that is  by knowing what we need to improve on. There is ALWAYS something you can do better. The hermanas were all talking at lunch the other day. Hermana Griffin shared an amazing example of how when Peter walked on the water, it’s not necessarily that he lacked faith. I mean, come on he did walk on water, but he doubted in himself and started focusing too much on the storms, instead of on the Savior. I am guilty of doing this myself. I think as missionaries we all can be at times. I am slowly starting to realize that I have to have faith that the lord will get me through, but I have to Trust in myself that he really can help me. I still get discouraged because of the language, but I have to take a step back and think about everything I do know.
Hermana Stout and I did a door approach and I understood every part of the conversation about his family, friends, beliefs, and religious background. How amazing is that? I mean, I have been here for only two weeks. I still have to work on learning how to say everything I need to, but it is surely coming.
Another thing this week, I don’t want to be prideful because that is no good, but we got our first investigator to commit to be baptized. Which the investigator is Jose, really "our teacher" but they get into character and act the part.  To the point, we don’t get feedback or anything. Anyway, we were the first ones to get him to commit to be baptized!! It really was a testimony builder because my Spanish is not good. Hermana Stout does pretty good.  I found out she lived in Mexico for about a year when she was in her early teens. I know it was a while ago, but she has the general idea and pronunciation down. Well, really we were not expecting that at ALL!! He mentioned how he could feel our spirit and love for him, and he knew it was true. It made us realize how it’s not us who converts people, it’s the Spirit. 

Now, like I promised last week ,I have to tell you about my Hermanas. Like I mentioned we are the only ones in the zone, so all the elders come and talk to us!! I have never felt so popular before. It is kind of funny. The elders in our district our quite protective and give us a hard time when any other elders come talk to us. They always say page 33, which is the page in the missionary handbook that talks about elder and sister relationships. Personally, I just think they get jealous that we talk to other elders.
Hermana Prince walked into class the first day wearing one of those special Jody dresses. You know what I am talking about. Anyway, she really does have a cute style.  It was kind of funny. She is the definition of a sister missionary. She always is very to the rules which is great. Never ever complains, vents or anything. It’s like she never shows any other emotions except for I am on cloud nine all the time. She has an amazing testimony, and I work each and everyday to not let her bug me. I love her though. 

Hermana Dunlop is going to Ash's mission. Very quiet, go with the flow type person. Never really shows her feelings. where me on the other hand,does quite often. She works so hard, and will be amazing. 
Hermana Griffin is like the mom of the group in the sense that she always gives the best advice, and sincerely knows how you are feeling. She gives the best hugs. We call them momma hugs. Now mom, nothing beats a hug like yours, but you know, I will take what I can get. I LOVE LOVE her, and she is amazing. 
Hermana Stout is m y new best friend. You know pretty much all about her. We were meant to be, and keep each other strong. We compliment each other really well.
Dad, no, she doesn’t have a southern accent. She is going to Seattle, so I will have a travel buddy, and we keep praying we get to be companions one day, in the field. 
I have to get going, but I loved the package. You know me all too well. 
Mom, thanks for the amazing verses in the scriptures you sent. It was perfect.
Linnea a letter is on the way. Keep me updated I love you!! 

B I told an Elder to write you, and I talked you up like CRAZY!!! Write back, he needs more mail. He is in my zone, funny, and super nice. I also have a letter on the way for you. BE HAPPY. 

Steven, why the heck have I not heard from you?!! 

Mom and Dad, I love you. 
I heard this amazing quote and I thought I would share it with you.
 "I am sacrificing my family for 18 months, so others can have theirs for eternity." How amazing!
Thanks for all your love and support. Letters are on the way.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVEN AND STEF on SUNDAY!!!! I love you both! 
Be good!
 Enjoy every moment, and know I pray for you.
ALWAYS
Simpre Amor, Hermana Grimes
I may or may not have figured out a way to cheat the 30 minute timer so sorry it’s so long, but its every detail from the linds you all know and love. Please save my emails!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment