Monday, May 7, 2012

Staying in Seattle

Well Good Afternoon Family,
 
I hope you all are doing well. I know your all anxious to hear about what had happened so I will let you know that I am staying. I did have to say good-bye to Hermana Spiller I mean I guess we kind of figured it was coming since she has been in the area for about 10 months. We sure had fun, and it was a quick six weeks.  My companion is Hermana Peak maybe you have heard of her before. We just served in Bellevue together for about 2 transfers, and now we are serving together again. Its nice because than I don't have to adjust to a new person because I already know all about her.
 
OK moving on to life in Seattle. First of all I have a pretty funny story. So everyweek we end up taking the bus into the city, and really its quite fun because you meet all sorts of people. I started talking to this guy and ended up talking about the Book of Mormon, and basically just having a great conversation. Anyway he gets off the bus, and we still have a few Min's before we needed to get off. Hermana Spiller and I always split because it makes it way easier to have conversation. By this point I am sitting by myself. I see this black guy sitting just across the isle. I start having this inner debate with myself because I know I need to talk to him. I just was trying to figure out a more creative way to start the conversation then whats your name? Or well the weather is kind of nice today? Then all of a sudden out of the blue as I was minding my own business he says can I ask you a question? Where are you from because you have really pretty eyes? Why thank you Heavenly Father for making that easy. Then we start small conversation oh by the way his name is DFR, and all of a sudden he asks Well who are you talking with? Now in my head I am thinking well duh I am talking with you, and as missionaries we talk with a lot of people so I guess I don't understand the question. Maybe by the look on my face he could tell I didn't quite understand. Then he goes well you know us east coast people like to lay things out on the table, and not just beat around the bush so who are you talking with? This point in time Hermana Spiller was there, and we both were just so confused. Then he put it in more simple terms by asking if I was married or had a boyfriend. Well us west coast people just ask it straight out. I guess I didn't quite understand how asking are you married or do you have a boyfriend was really beating around the bush I think its pretty straight forward. Well he didn't quite get the answer he probably wanted because then we went into how were are missionaries, and for 18 months we go around inviting people to come unto Christ. Gotta Love the bus, but it really was pretty dang funny.
 
Also on Saturday it was the baptism of Alicia!!! I can't believe how prepared she was, and that she actually made the date we set for her the first time. She really is so amazing, and it has been so great to watch her grow, and progress. She has been through a lot, and just to see how prepared she was such a blessing. The picture attached has her brother, and just 2 of her sons. We are going to start getting the elders involved, and see if they can start teaching them. Just knowing that one person is strong, and has a strong testimony of the gospel. Then being able to know that it is just the beginning of everything for her, and her family. Then Sunday she was confirmed as the newest member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It was a great day, and another amazing experience I was blessed enough to be a part of.
 
Now I need to tell you about Jocelyn. Well the Spanish elders tracted into her, but since she is a single mom she was passed of to us. We met her Friday Night, and were able to put her and her 2 oldest kids on date for the end of May. Really it is such a cool experience. So at the beginning of the year someone gave her a car. Which is huge because now she has a way to get to church. Then a few weeks ago her "boyfriend" that she has been living with for a long time, and the father of all her children is now back in Mexico. Which means she is no longer breaking the law of Chasity. Things really have been starting to fall right into place. We had another lesson with her on Saturday night, and talked about the importance of church we had the Relief Society President with us as well so that made it nice. We found out that she is struggling a little bit money wise just because she is a single mom with 4 kids, and so they just do the bare minimum to get by. Well Sunday morning we receive a message of her telling us that she is sick and wont be able to attend. Well I call her back about 40mins later, and she told me she was feeling better and now her and all of her kids were ready to go to church. She just said that she didn't have anything for them to eat. Hermana Spiller and I went through our cupboards and just pulled out a bunch of cans of food, pasta, and just anything we could give her. Then we ended up making so eggs, and talking over some bread so they could have breakfast before church. We get there about 20 Min's before church starts and they are all dressed ready to go. We give them breakfast, and then they all get in their car to follow us to church. It was just the sweetest feeling because we were driving to church, and I look in the rear view mirror I start getting teary eyed. One because you have a single mom who has been through so much, and just wants the best for her kids. Then second because they are now following us to church. It was such a great feeling, and they are an amazing family. I am so excited to get to know them more, and be able to teach them.
 
Family I love you all so much!! I hope you have the best week. Know that you are always in my prayers, and I am so grateful for all your support. Oh and welcome to MAY!!!! Enjoy every minute!!!
Loving you from Seattle!!!
LOVE ALWAYS, Hermana Grimes

No comments:

Post a Comment