Monday, August 29, 2011

Hello from Washington!

Hola Family,

Hello from Washington!!! Originally I will have P-day (preparation day) on Monday, but since I am a new-bee we got special permission to have a little one today. I have tons of people to write back, and I promise I will get to all those letters on Monday. Kort and Aunt Rachel:  Thank you so much for your amazing packages the last weekend in the MTC. I loved it!
             Well where to even begin. Leaving the MTC was bitter sweet for sure. I have so much to look forward to, but at the same time I loved every second of the time I got to spend in the MTC. Last week,  I wrote about everything that I loved about the MTC. Everyone in my district was headed to different missions. Mostly in California, but the best are in Washington!! Kidding, but I may be a little biased. Anyway saying goodbye was terrible. I hate goodbyes, and they never get any easier. It makes it so much harder because we have grown so much together. We are with each other for 2 straight months and all day long. There is always a different connection when you grow spiritually, and learning how to be the missionaries the lord needs us to be. They are all going to be amazing missionaries, and I am so glad I got the chance to spend a short period of my mission with such amazing people. Some of them you know are just going to be your friends forever.
Monday we of course took all of our last pictures, and finalized packing. We tried so hard to be in bed on time considering we had to be to the travel office at 5 am, but that didn’t quite work out how we had planned. It was probably around 11:15pm and then we were up at 3am to finish everything. I didn’t sleep too well that night either, but I had pretty good reasoning behind it. Then of course we packed up and headed to the airport.
As you know I got to give dad a big hug from all of you. I don't know how I got to be so blessed that he had a business trip the same day I flew out. But it was Amazing. He walked me and Hermana Stout to our gate, and we spent time visiting then the best thing was calling all of you. I loved hearing all of your wonderful voices- seriously I cried like a baby, but what else is new. Everything sounds like it’s going so well at home, and I couldn’t be more proud of each of you. The flight was just about as good as it could get, and it was short enough that no bathroom break  was necessary. Considering that is probably one of the things that I fear the most is airline bathrooms.
We had about 15 missionaries in our travel group. We landed in Washington at about 9:30am (10:30 am  your time) and we were greeted by our Mission President, and his wife. We gathered up all  of our luggage and headed to the mission home. I can't even tell you how beautiful Washington is!! I am in LOVE!! It is so green  and there are pine trees everywhere, and of course all the water that is surrounding the areas. I did get to see the Space Needle, and the skyline as we drove across the floating bridge. It is gorgeous. Mom, I am sure you know what road I am talking about. We went to the mission home where we wrote a letter home, and had lunch. It was so good. I loved home cooked meals, and considering it was now about 12 and I hadn’t eaten yet because of my crazy morning. It was delicious. Then we had interviews, a little bit of training, and then I was  assigned  my area/trainer. Yep, no time wasted at all. Of course as they are announcing who our new companions are Hermana Stout and I have are arms linked together. I love LOVE that girl, and we seriously became such close friends. Dad, of course, got the chance to meet her.
Anyway, my new companion is great, and I already know we are going to have a great time together. She is perfect for me. Its a good thing I get along with a lot of people. Her name is Hermana Heywood, and she has been here form almost a year. She is from Utah, and I know that she is going to  be awesome for me. I was telling Linnea a little bit about the new missionary program, but her and I will be together in this area for at least 3 months. They also added an extra hour of study in the morning. The morning goes like this 1 hour personal, 2 hours companion study, 1 hour language study, so by the time we get out the door its around 1 pm.  My area is Kent, Washington and it does cover Auburn as well so when I learn more about it, I will definately tell all of you. Hermana Stout is in Seattle and it was so sad to see her go, but I know that she is going to be awesome. Pray that we get to be together in the future. I am settled in my new apartment; just me and Hermana Heywood. Some elders do live around the same area as well. She introduced me to a lot about the mission, and just the basics such as the area book, planning, zones, and districts all that jazz.
Last night we went to visit a recent convert, and got the chance to talk with her. She is sweet. Her name is Sandra, and I don’t really know much about her. She is very inviting, and we had a nice chatt with her. She even feed us fruit. She is from the Dominican Republic so she has a little different Spanish accent as everyone does. I am going to have to learn that with time, but she was talking fast!! I have a lot to learn still so pray for me because I am freaking out!! I am staying positive, and happy so don’t worry. I am going to make the most of it.
Then we have English classes 3 nights a week. We go and help with in our branch so I got to meet a few of the members. It will be interesting to see how church goes on Sunday as I am still trying to grasp this language. Yep, that was my day in a nutshell!!
I ‘ve had so many emotions as I was on the verge of crying, but excited all at the same time. It is different, but so far in the  last 24 hours it has  been a good adjustment. Thank you for all your support. I love you all so much, and Pray for you always. Enjoy everything.

Love, Hermana Grimes

No comments:

Post a Comment